Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A gauge! What the!

I've been discussing knitting a clapotis with sadieandlance for a while now. As usual, she gave me some very sensible advice: practice the stitches before you start. I'm usually waaaaaay too impatient for anything that organised, but I looked at the pattern a couple of moths ago and it totally confused me. So I put the yarn I had for it away (Der! Of course you buy the yarn before you're actually ready to knit something!) and did some other things. Until the other day. For some reason (I think it was a conversation we were having B?) I looked at the pattern and realised it actually made sense to me now - Hallelujah! So I knitted a practice version:

And it (kinda) worked! There was much joy and celebration. Hint: for this practice version I just knitted the first part of each section and not the repeats, so it means you can get to the section where you're dropping the stitches faster.
My joy was short lived, however. Upon walking in to retrieve the camera and share my joy with the world, I found this:

Sorry for the bad photo, the anger was fogging my vision. This may look relatively harmless, just some yarn lying on the ground, right? Wrong. While you've been away Kelly Albert has learnt a new trick. It's called "whacking yarn around every piece of furniture you possible can until it is so hopelessly tangled it's impossible to unwind." or WYAEPOFYPCUHTIU (ok so it has a slight identity problem). He's already done it several times, including to a very expensive ball of colinette yarn...
I absent-mindedly left this project on the table while I was knitting the gauge and voila! Destruction. Hang on a minute...Maybe that's the problem. It's the craft goddess expressing her frustration at the production of said gauge! But that would mean that Albert is/was momentarily the craft goddess incarnate....
Well he's not sleeping with us tonight. He's been sleeping in JD's crotch lately, and there ain't no way I'm sharin' that pieca pie with another chicky-babe! (ohmygod what did I just say? I'm turning in to flipping Mark Holden. Shame on me! Shame!)
XXX

6 comments:

SadieandLance said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SadieandLance said...

Umm that was possibley your best post ever...arguabley? Well in my opinion anyway - it's past midnight I should be in bed but I couldn't possibley sleep till I posted a comment to this stellar post.

I think it's time to send Alby to WYAEPOFYPCUHTIU Anonymous. Of course those cats who have been the craft goddess incarnate would have to maybe go through the 11 step program - or maybe they get a step discount cause being the craft goddess incarnate is bloody awesome - most especially fi ur the of the feline species.

If you're turning into Mark Holden - it must mean you're watching too much idol. Stop that now, please I beg you (my judgement ends here).

I find it highly amusing (but cannot quite comprehend) how I manage to give out such apparenly sage yoda like advice about knitting practice swatches and stitches yet I am unable to bring myself to tackle the clapotis practise swatch at all. Fancy a trip to Melbourne to show me how?!

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify, I do not, have not and will not watch Australian Idol. I expect a full retraction of that slur on my reputation :-). And I realised in the car this morning it's a flipping swatch not a guage...clearly I have no idea what i'm doing! I'll totally show you how I did it. It's remarkably easy, just 5 sets of stitches to learn and they're pretty similar. And it's very cool to intentionally drop stitches!

SadieandLance said...

I completely and reservedly retract my slur on your reputaion (I really did wonder how it could possibley be true), welcome back my friend.

Swatch/ Guage Tomayto/Tomarto I knew what you were on about even if it was after midnight and I'd had a few wines!

SadieandLance said...

Of course what I menat to say was I completely and UNreservedly retract my slur...up too late last night reading blogs.

Anonymous said...

LOL.