Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sundays

I heart Sundays. Mr BrownPants isn't too keen on them though, he says I make him do too much houswork. I say he wouldn't mind if he wasn't so hung over. But I digress.

Sundays. In my wanderings around the garden I noticed a lovely smell (which very easily could have been a terrible smell given the cats like to 'use' the backyard). I eventually traced it to my flowering daphne. The winter garden continues to surprise me!

Daphne has such a powerful smell for such a small plant with petite flowers, you can smell it right through the backyard. It's such a noticeable smell I think most people associate it with a place or an event or a particuar time in their lives. I think I am one of only a few people who have no particular olfactory memory of daphne. We didn't have it in the garden when I was growing up and I don't remember ever 'knowing' it, other than that it was a plant (and the name of that chick from Frasier).

When I first got it I was chatting to MrBrownPants' mum (let's call her MrsD) about it and she was saying that she always associates it with the house she grew up in and her mother. Both MrsD and MrBrownPants adored their mum/grandma, and miss her very much, so the daphne became the GrandmaD-daphne. It sits right next to PopBrownPants' orchids in the garden. I love that little corner. Anyway, I was so inspired by this smell that I sat in the backyard for a while. See:



This leads me to the craft (oh my I really do digress!) On Friday I received my long awaited package from amazon, which included The Happy Hooker. The instructions in it were great, and some of the patterns are so cool, I sat down yesterday and started to crochet. I've always been pretty intimidated by crochet, it seems much more complex than knitting. I'd done some granny squares and simple shawls, but that was it. After i'd practiced all the single crochet, half-double crochet (yes, Sam, you would think it would just be single crochet!), double crochet and triple crochet I realised that I actually knew all of these stitches. I remember my grandma teaching me. I just never knew what they were called. I had so much fun I started making flowers. It is so much easier to make crocheted flowers than knitted ones. I think they look better too (the green one sitting on the book is one I made and you can see some other ones near the scissors).
Now I heart crochet. I mean it, I really, really heart crochet. Given that I already heart cotton, I can see that this is going to be a long, productive realationship.

As an added bonus, I now associate daphne with crochet flowers. Funny how we make up memories as we go. I know you've been making some lately Kel and they've been a little painful. I know better ones will come your way soon, if they're not already. XXX

6 comments:

OCC said...

Brown Pants I love your surprises! Who knew you could get so many different flowers in winter.

And I think I am going to have to get you and Shazmina to speak to me about crocheting as I have a fear. But since I love the Jo Sharp yarn you inspired me to buy I suspect I am going to love cotton as well, so I think I am going to have to get over my fear of crocheting. A new craft and new project never hurts...

SadieandLance said...

I have the crochet fear too. Ridiculous really. Brownpants, I can see you truly have embraced the cotton, you have a healthy collection there.

BrownPants said...

Healthy but cheap! These were $2 from an el cheapo shop! I figured they were good for learning though. I know OCC, winter flowers are cool! I had the crochet fear, now i'm annoyed I did! Just think of all the time I could have been crocheting if i'd gotten over it earlier (yes, I am well addicted now).

SadieandLance said...

So I have the crochet fear AND the jar sterilising fear - which I conquered this weekend...one fear at a time...

BrownPants said...

I just have the jar sterilisation fear. You're hardcore Bee! You should have seen the face I was pulling while I read your blog! And I thought OCC was clever doing cables...Katie's probably laughing at us cause she has to sterilise everything (that's different though, right?)

SadieandLance said...

hee hee, yes I'd like to see that blog. Hmm and got point about what Katie Mac might be thinking of all this sterilisation talky talky!